Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Almond Biscotti

Always thinking to make biscotti at home and whenever I am out grocery shopping, I end up buying ready made ones. Finally I got this recipe from one of my friends. I was thinking it might be very difficult to make it but once I had started making it, I found it easy. 
Now the kids are ready to start school, and they need something homemade snakes to munch on with milk, so this is a favorite that I like to have in my pantry. You might be thinking why I am using almonds in my food preparation all the time? Answer is health. Almonds are very rich, powerful, and full of nutrients. My family has 10 overnight soaked almonds daily in morning time.









You can get more useful info about soaked almonds from the link below, 

http://frugivoremag.com/2012/02/raw-food-101-why-you-should-always-soak-almonds/

Hope you like this recipe.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup whole almonds
3 large eggs
2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt


Procedure (makes 35):

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Place the almonds on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until very lightly brown. 
  3. Let cool and then chop.
  4. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  5. In a small bowl whisk the eggs with the vanilla and almond extracts and butter.
  6. In a large bowl whisk the flour with the sugar, baking powder and salt. 
  7. Stir the chopped almonds in flour mixture.
  8. Then add the egg mixture and stir until a dough forms.
  9. Divide the dough in half, and on a lightly floured surface roll each half into a 7 inch (18 cm) log that is about 3 - 4 inches (8 - 10 cm) wide. 
  10. Transfer logs to the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 35 minutes, or until firm to the touch
  11. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 to 15 minutes.
  12. Transfer logs to a cutting board and, using a sharp knife, cut logs into slices about 1/4 - 1/2 inch (6-12 mm) thick on the diagonal. 
  13. Place the slices of biscotti on the baking sheet and bake about 10-15 minutes, turn slices over, and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until firm Remove from oven and let cool.









No comments: